Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Fee bought about a month old leaped tortoise last week from

Customer Question

Fee bought about a month old leaped tortoise last week from someone we thought was a breeder but can not get in touch w her..... Today notice it's face was all dark and smelled like his poop.. Could he have ate it or something else?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the tortoise will be able to digest that. What is the tortoise's name?
Customer: It also has a tiny hairline crack on bottom of shell behind front leg and appears to be like what it's face had on it. Ruthie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruthie?
Customer: Just really concerned cause my so is so in love w her
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I m not sure if the shell could be shell rot but it's weird that it's face is dark and smells in one day and it eats all the time and her eyes look pretty good but she kinda rubs them
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue.

What type of tortoise is it?

How old?

Where housed?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil strength and brand?

Can you post a picture of the area?

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Leaped about 1 month spring mix calcium powder 1-2 x a week tube zoo med an d we have a heat lamp and mat also a humid hide yes give me a sec..
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

I will wait for a picture. where is she housed? In a tank, rubber made Bin or a tortoise table?

what type of tortoise?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In a 20 long tank w linoleum leapord
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

I really want to see the tortoise and his shell and the crack to see what you are dealing with.

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get pic? Here is one of face and bottom of shell also shell is little soft
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Can you ge one more of the face? I cannot see it clearly. It looks like something all over it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this better? Yesterday her face did not look this way it was yellowish but when we got home from school it looked like this and smells like her poop
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have the terriaium moss in there but she tries to eat it some but she loves to go under it should I remove it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you get it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I really need to go so I can get to bed I go to work early but can you talk w me later?
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

She needs to be in a tortoise table or a rubber rmade and not a tank. Fish tanks can cause respiratory issues and fungal infections. she needs more air circulation. She should have a substrate of part coconut coir and sand. The linoleom when warmed by the lights and the heat mat can give off toxic fumes. The one eye I can see tells me the tortoise is ill. it is not clear and looks very cloudy in the picture. In all honesty I suggest a Herp Vet visit for this little one. They are very fragile at this size and the baby just does not look right in the picture. This will give you a litte information on housing: http://www.howtocareforatortoise.com/tortoise-housing-2/

I would like you to give a daily soak of warm water and Pedilalyte daily for hydation. I highly recomment a Herp Vets visit. If you need one I can locate one for you with a State..

Joan

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We don't have one near 😕
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks though but I was told they can swallow that type of substrate and I live in Clarksburg wv
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

The coconuct coir and sand is one of the safer loose substrates. you can use cage carpet. If a Rusian tortoise. they need more moist substrate. These are Herp Vets in WV: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/westva.html If none are close your regular Vet may be able to do a phone consult with the Herp Vets and see if they can treat accordingly.

If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars. You can still follow up with me on the page.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

This is a comprehensive care sheet for the hatchlng Leopard Tortoise. They do need a most substrate as you can read about: http://tortoiseyard.com/leopard_tortoise_hatchling_care.htm

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

How is the little tortoise doing? I wanted to check and see if you found my information helpful. Please let me know.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

How is the little tortoise doing it has been a while since we spoke. I have been concerned since I have not heard back on his condition.

Joan