Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.

We have russian tortoise who has her shell bitten by the

Customer Question

We have russian tortoise who has her shell bitten by the neighbors Husky puppy. There was some blood so we cleaned her up and brought her inside in a tub with lots of towels to rest for the night. Is there anything safe to put on the hurt areas to help them heal before she goes back outside.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles.

Sorry to hear about the injury. You will need to use a Betadine and water solution to clean 3 times a day and a little Neosporin on the areas. The tortoise needs to see the Herp Vet for an Antibiotic to prevent infection. The Dogs mouth does carry bacteria, so we want to protect the tortoise as much as possible. Please let me know if you need a Herp Vet. I can locate some with a State.