Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My daughters bearded dragon has a large lump on its back and

Customer Question

My daughters bearded dragon has a large lump on its back and its back legs look paralyzed. She has only fed it live crickets.. I have read through another post that says it may be impacted.. Not sure what to do.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate(bedding)

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking are, warm side and cool side?

Passing stool?

Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Felt like mat for bedding
Approx 6 months old
Live crickets
Warming lamp/black light lamp
Heat pad under bedding
I only see 3 - 4 places where he has passed stool since she cleaned his cage out last weekend.
My husband said that the lump on his back was not there yesterday.. He does not seem to be able to move his back legs..
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Diet veggies?

Supplements?

Is there UVB light? Is it linear tube or compact coil, strength, age and brand?

Basking light?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cabbage, juvenile bearded dragon food, no, there is a basking light, 100 degrees, 80 degrees,
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

So let me understand there is no UVB or Mercury Vapor bulb. Can you tell me the Bulbs name and Brand. This is most important to determine if there is a problem. I just looked over the picture, please let me know on the light and Supplements and I will then work on my answer.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent a photo of the lights.. They both say 250V 660W .. This was purchased as a starter kit at PetSmart.
She only gives it live crickets, the bearded dragon food, water and cabbage
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a picture of the bulbs? There are some serious issues with the information supplied by Petsmart and I will review with you.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I suspect the Dragon has MBD. Metabolic Bone Disease is a result of lack of calcium, the lack of UVB light to metabolize the calcium, or improper diet where the calcium is being bound by improper diet.

The basking area should have 105*-110*F, warm side 80's and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is imporatnt for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem.

You need to have a day time basking bulb as well as a UVB. I recommend a Reptisun 10.0. The UVB bulb is needed to stop Metabolic Bone Disease. Since the Dragon is in such bad shape, in this case I would reccommed a Mercury Vapor Bulb, which has a higher output of UVB rays and would replace the basking bulb and a UVB tube.

On a side note, the UVB needs to be changed every 6 months.

Normally a UVB should be a tube type.

I would change the Coil light to an MVB bulb asap. The Power sun is an excellent MVB bulb.

TheCoil UVB bulbs can injure the eyes.

Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

The UVB bulb or MVB bulb should not have any plastic between it and the Dragon,it should not be no more than 12" from the Dragon. The lights should run daily for 12-14 hours a day.

Normal diet is Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 20% veggies daily and 80% live prey under a year old and over a year old we reverse the percenatges to higher veggies and less prey. The Kale can bind calcium as can spinach No Lettuce as it is all water and has no nutritional value! It can casue serious dehydration by causing diarrhea. This is a nutritional chart that will help to give the proper ratio of calcium to phosphorus: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html it is color coded for easier reading.

The Dragon will need to get on a good Plain Calcium supplement 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week. It will have to see a Herp Vet for blood work and a get started on a Calcium and Vitamins from the Herp Vet. This is some information on MBD: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

I suggest you also get the proper lighting and if the Dragon is not in a 40 gallon breeder tank that will also be a must to help the Dragon.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do we get these special bulbs
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

UVB lights are sold in the Pet shop you will want the Reptisun 10.0 and a linear tube to run the length of the tank. you will also want Plain Calcium without D3, and a Good Vitamin like Reptivite. the calcium will be used 5 days a week and vitamin 2 days. The Veggies need to be changed as well. Diet is very important and seeing a Herp Vet asap to help with blood work and calcium injections as needed.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is the Dragon doing. Have you made the needed changes? Please let me know if you have found my information helpful.

Joan