Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My 25 year old ***** ***** has just come out of bernation

Customer Question

Hi, My 25 year old ***** ***** has just come out of hibernation and appears to have an annual prolapse, very watery diarrhoea, advice please, Pat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry Joan should have typed anul prolapsed, lots of watery wee & poo, Ive tried pushing back the prolapse but just comes out again, Pat
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Thank for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. We need to try and shrink the tissues until she can see the Vet to have the prolapse replaced and sutured.

Please put he on paper towels for now. Next rise the area with some sterile saline. We are going to make a sugar paste and apply it to the area. You can do this by taking some sugar place on guaze pad and moisten it with cool water and apply this to the prolapse. Try and saten in place using some First aid tape. This will help to reduce the swelling in the tissues. Leave this patch on for a while. She needs to see the Vet asaap. When you take the patch off rinse with Saline solution and apply some Sterile Personal Lubricant to keep the tissues from drying out.

Please try and feed her some Pure canned Pumpkin. It is a Fiber food and will help with the Diarrhea. You will need to give soaks to help with dehydration since he has the diarrhea.

Over all this is just first aid and she will need to see a Herp Vet as soon as reasonably possible. If you need some Herp Vets I can give you a link to locate some.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please advise of a herb vet in the Wolverhampton area.
Pat
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

These are the ones I found I believe is in the area:

Taylor and Marshall
Veterinary Surgeons
High Street Shinal
Near Wolverhampton
01902 460781

Robin Bone
608 Vet Practice*****br />Solhiull, West Midlands, B91 1AA
0121(###) ###-####/p>

This is a link for Herp Vets in England: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/england.html

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any further questions that I can assist with? If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service.

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Joan,
My tortoise has just passed a calcified egg and the prolapse anus has retracted it's self, so I will keep a close eye on her and seek help with Mr Marshall if needed, have you any other advice on this problem, hopefully it may rectify with out intervention.
Thanks Pat
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

I would try the pumpkin and I would have an Xray done. If there was a calcified she may have others or could become egg bound. continue soaks. You can add some Lectade to the water 50/50 for hydration. I would make sire she has a good calcium supplement to help with calcium loss. Female require more calcium.

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 8 months ago.

Checking in on your tortoise to see how she is doing. Please let me know and If I have addressed your concerns please take a moment to rate my service.