Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a 5 month old Anery Kenyan Sand Boa. She has always

Customer Question

I have a 5 month old Anery Kenyan Sand Boa. She has always been a good eater and shedded appropriately up until about a month ago. She is refusing her food (frozen/thawed pinky mice) and has not shed in over a month. Recently she began her shed cycle which may explain her loss of appetite. But now, her eyes are no longer cloudy and her skin has yet to even begin its peeling. It is still faded so I know she needs to shed a layer but it will not loosen up. She still will not eat or shed. I have began to panic considering i know of a few incidents where this happened to other baby sand boas and they ended up eating away. I was told to bath her twice a day in hopes of assisting with the shed cycle but that has not worked/ I also read this may be caused from stress of over handling. I have not handled her in a week now and she has yet to do anything. I am worried sick.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The other sand boas I know of ended up Passing away not eating away
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Some snakes will go off food for a week or two before completing a shed. The soaking is good to help loosen the skin. Reason for a snake to go off food, would be stress from handling, high traffic area and illness. You can try scenting the food by soak in a chicken broth, or try a different feeder to try and entice feeding. a Hamster pup may work to create interest. You will want to double check temps and light cycle which can also affect feeding and shedding.

If nothing seems to resolve the issues you are seeing, then a Herp Vet visit for a fecal, blood work and a Vitamin shot will be what is needed to get to the bottom of this problem.

If you would like to discuss this on the phone I can do a call, but the site does charge extra for phone calls. I can locate some her Vets for you with your State. Please hit reply for forther discussion and when I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service.

Joan