Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Chameleon not moving but showing aggression, She was lying

Customer Question

Chameleon not moving but showing aggression
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was lying at the bottom of the cage I picked her up and he mouth is open like she wants to hiss
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. The mouth can be open for other reasons besides hissing. Most commonly, it is a sign of difficulty breathing. I suspect that your chameleon is very sick. Some additional information may help us narrow down what is wrong.

How old is your chameleon?

What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

How do you maintain the humidity?

Does she receive a calcium supplement?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your response she died this morning.
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

I am so sorry for your loss. From what you described, I suspect she had Metabolic Bone Disease and/or a respiratory infection. Chameleons are among the most fragile or reptiles, and when something goes wrong, it's very difficult for them to recover. You did all you could by seeking help. I was hoping for a better outcome, but it wasn't to be. I know that words don't really help, but all I can do now is offer my condolences. I'm sorry.