Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Leopard gecko tail seems to be infected and dying from the

Customer Question

Leopard gecko tail seems to be infected and dying from the end up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the leopard?
Customer: He was starved when we got him, he has been gaining weight and doing well, but is in the tank with another male, who can be quite aggressive to it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptile health. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

I know you would like a home remedy, and I would love to give you one, but I believe you deserve honesty. When the tail is infected, a condition called dry gangrene is common. Sometimes it's the result of a minor injury (possibly caused by the other gecko, but sometimes no original cause can be found. Because the infection can keep spreading up the tail, and into the spine, it's best to have it treated by a vet. It can be fatal if allowed to continue. This site will let you enter your zip code to find the nearest reptile vet:

http://www.reptileveterinarians.com/

You can read more about tail infections on this page:

http://www.anapsid.org/gangrene.html

The information applies to other species, as well as iguanas.

The vet may have to amputate the infected part of the tail. In geckos, it does often grow back.

I would also permanently separate the two geckos. Two males simply cannot be kept together. Severe fighting, leading to serious injuries is common.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your gecko will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!