Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My chameleon has not eaten in a couple weeks and s stool is

Customer Question

my chameleon has not eaten in a couple weeks and his stool is white and milky
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your chameleon will be able to digest that. What is the chameleon's name?
Customer: rango, we got him in dec and he was eating mealworms and crickets on a daily basis then he starting shedding and then after that he really hasn't eaten
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rango?
Customer: he also had a tank lid dropped on him and knicked his horn on his head he had solid brown stool before he stopped eating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with secial interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up for Rango?

Supplements?

Mister or Dripper?

How old is Rango?

UVB bulb, strength, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, brand?

Basking light?

Substrate?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
rango is probably 6 months he hasn't been eating to much we just switched his feeding to two or three days instead of every day we believe it to be a fame lizard it just got done shedding and the lid was dropped on the lizard by accident and was stress over that and is just recovering, the lights and tempter of the tank is perfectly fine to his environment he was dehydrated at one point because he was not properly misted every day and has found the water dish that he lays in. range is finally adjusted to his cage and seems bored because they get bored easy so we are going to change up his food and his cage tomorrow so it is not boring
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we are ordering a humidifier as well that we will add later he does seem to be at a healthy weight for not eating to much
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

Do you a tank or screen enclosure?

Basking light?

What do you mean by fame lizard?

What type of chameleon is he?

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tank
bulb
basking light we have
and substarte is a mix or bark and cocounut
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

The information I ask about the UVB is very important, if you can answer the questions about it.

Do you use supplements?

What do you mean by fame lizard?

What type of chameleon is he?

I am trying to identify what may be the cause of lack of appetite.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

The lack of appetite and not eating is very dangerous for the Chameleon. Husbandry plays a big part in the chameleon's health and how it reacts. The Tank is not appropriate housing for a Chameleon and they can stress in a Tank, as well as get a respiratory infection. They need a screen enclosure that offers air flow and also heaight. Chameleons like to be as high as they can in the home. They do need a mister to keep them from dehydrating. As I mentioned the UVB is most imporatnt. It should be a linear tube and a Reptisun 5.0. The chameleon also needs a calcium supplement 5 days a week and a Vitamin two days a week. If the UVB is ineffective, it can cause lack of appetite. UVB needs to be changed every 6 months. They do loose potency and can be a major issue leading to Metabolic Bone Diseaase.

The loose stools are very dangerous and can further cause dehydration. This may be a parasite issue or an infection. In any case this will require a Herp Vet visit. I can locate some for you with a State. This is a link for a Chameleon care sheet: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/

Joan

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we use suppliments
and its suppose to say same because i know they get bored easy so its the same thing for him
and he a veiled chameleon
175wdaytime zoo med 100w night time tank is 24inch tall he stays under the warmth
Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

The bulbs you are telling me are not UVB bulbs. The are 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0. The UVB for a chameleon should be a 5.0 Reptisun UVB. Please read my answer.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.

How is your Chameleon doing? Have you seen the Herp Vet? Please let me know, since I have been very concerned since we spoke about this issue.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan