Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My beaded dragon will not eat food with vitamins or cal on

Customer Question

My beaded dragon will not eat food with vitamins or cal on it he loves his greens if I do not put it on..He will be a year old in May.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

How often are you trying to give Vitamins?

Are you using a Calcium supplement?

What type of Diet are you feeding Prey Veggies?

Do you have a UVB light, how old linear tube or compact coild and strength?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vitamins 3's a week calcium the same all lights are new just changed the a month ago lights are what is recommended food green beans peas he will not eat carrot superwarms freeze dried crickets and freeze dried warms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
strawberrie sauce to get him to eat. When we got him he was a very pickey water did not think he would make it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Water sorry
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Calcium should be 5 days a week and vitamins only 2 days a week. If the diet is corrcect the vitamins are not as important as the calcium. You can find both in liquid form http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24283. The Diet you are feeding needs a major overhaul. Freeze Dried foods have no nutritional Value. and Meal worms and sure worms should never be fed to dragons. Basically the Freezed Dried foods are nothing but chitin the hard outer shell. We highly suggest Silk Worms, Crickets, Phoenix worms, dubia roaches and for a treat goliath worms. The Veggies also need improvement. The Green beans are fine, but the peas are high i sugar content. The diet should include collard greens, mustard greens, Dandelion greens, escarole, curly endives, butternut squash, spineless cactus pads, cactus fruit and some berries for a treat. This is a dietary sheet that gives you the color coded foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html With the correct diet the Vitamins can go as little as every other week. The calcium on the other hand is important as it works with the UVB to metabolize into D3 in the body.

It is most important to update your diet. Unfortunately people feel they can depend on the pet shop for accuare information, but they are there to sell supplies and not know the proper husbandry. The Silk worms, Phoenix worms and dubia roaches can all be ordere online if your local pet supply does not handle them.

Please let me know if you need clarification on this information.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi I wanted to check in onyour Dragon and see how it is doing. I like to follow up to check and see i my information has been helpful.

Joan