Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My leopard gecko has always been on the smaller, thinner

Customer Question

My leopard gecko has always been on the smaller, thinner side despite my attempts to feed her crickets with calcium and vitamin supplements and the occasional wax worm as a treat. After her last shed roughly four days ago, she began quickly losing weight. I have been giving her more crickets and wax worms, increased humidity and heat, gave the tank a deep clean, and have been giving her an anti-inflammatory medicine given to me by her vet when this very issue came up a couple of months ago. The only difference then was that her diet was primarily mealworms, which I did not know at the time were not very nutritious. Is there anything more I can do? I cannot afford the vet at the moment, and he hasn't responded to my email.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations Gecko can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Are you ready to speak with the Veterinarian now?
Customer: I can type, but cannot talk on the phone. Thank you so much for your help
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

You can try supplemental feeding beside crickets. Meat flavored baby food mixed with calcium works well and you can add some Flukers Repti Boost for insectivores http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/flukers-reptaboost-insectavore-and-carnivore-high-amp-boost This may help get the gecko jump started . You can also do a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. Do this is a shallow bowl and only has to cover the Vent area.

For feeders silk worms and Phoenix worms are very nutritious feeders and may be welcomed by your Gecko. Short of this there is not a lot that can be done at home. The Vet could give a vitamin shot and check the fecal for parasite that could be causing the weight loss. You would also want an acid fast stain to check for crypto which is a wasting disease.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 12 months ago.

Did you have any questions on this information supplied? Please hit reply and I will be happy to assist you.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

How is your Gecko doing. I wanted to check back in with you since he was so thi to see if the information supplied was of help.

Joan