Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have a juvenile bearded dragon that was doing fine until a

Customer Question

My name is Becca. I have a juvenile bearded dragon that was doing fine until a few days ago. He started to sleep more. I looked it up online, and I thought he had entered into a brumanation cycle. Today when I came home from work. He was under his climbing log and his head was tilted. I gave him a warm bath, and it seemed to have perked him up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was wondering what might have caused his issue. I cannot get him to eat veggies, he eats gut loaded crickets. I just changed his UV bulb so that it is a new one. It is a reptisun 10.0
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for Requesting me. I do need to ask some questions.

How old is he?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

How measured?

State to locate a Herp Vet if needed?

I will be away for dinner but will check back as soon as I am done for your responses.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How old: I just got him about a month ago, and he is about 6 inches from nose to tip of his tail
Setup: 30 gallon tank with climbing vine, water pool, hammock, climbing branch
diet: I have tried a variety of veggies and fruits, but he won't eat them. His main diet is gut loaded crickets.
supplements: oops, none
substrate: reptile carpet
temps: 95 in warm, 80 in cool (new thermometers)
we are located in central Virginia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just put in a new UVB florescent bulb, a reptisun 10.0. I know as he gets older, I will need a bigger tank.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for the information. The 30 gallon is fine and eventually you will need a 40 Gallon breeder tank. The climbing vines are not really needed, as Dragons are terrestrial and need the floor space rather than vines to climb. I am very glad you replaced the UVB bulb, they do need to be replaced every 6 months. The big issue is inorder for the UVB to do its job, the Dragon needs a plain calcium supplement 5 days a week dusted on food and 2 days a week a Vitamin is needed. He is very young maybe 2-3 months old. 6 inches is very small to even sell a Dragon. Most reliable breeders do not sell them unless 8 inches.

Your Temps are a bit low. The basking ares should be 105*-110*F, the warm side 90's and the cool side 80's. I suggest you recheck them with a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun for accuracy.

No the Veggies right now should be 20% of the diet and the prey should be 80%. For veggies you can try collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, curly endives, butternut squash and you can take a fruit baby food and use it like a salad dressing to get the Dragon to eat. For prey you can use crickets, silk worms, dubia roaches, and phoenix worms. Sometimes the variety helps.

He is way too young to brumate, and we do not see that until a year or older in Dragons. If this behavior continues, then I suggest a Herp Vet visit for a Fecal and a Vitamin shot. I will give you a Link for Herp Vets in Virginia: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/virginia.html

If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Want to check in and see how your Dragon is doing. Please let me know if you have seen a Herp Vet and what the finding were.

Joan