Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a Russian tortoise that, after some neglect from a

Customer Question

I have a Russian tortoise that, after some neglect from a previous owner, will not eat. My name is Jenette.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The tortoise has been eating less and less as the winter has continued. She lives indoors in a large Rubbermaid-style enclosure, with coir substrate and a combo heat lamp/UVB lamp at one end. She has been losing weight, and is now quite thin and incredibly lethargic. Her food, spinach and other greens, goes completely untouched.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jenette and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear your tortoise is having this problem. Some additional information will help me determine the best steps for you to take. What is the temperature right under the heat lamp? How about on the cool side of the enclosure? Has the tortoise been passing normal droppings? Thank you.