Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon is 19 months old and has not eaten or

Customer Question

My bearded dragon is 19 months old and has not eaten or pooped in a month ~ she seems ok when I hold her and I'm within her sight but she just won't eat ~
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet she is eating?

Supplements?

UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand ?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

Passing any stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is in a 75 gal tank with correct lighting & heater ~ temp is between 96 and 102 on side with large hammock and drift wood angled closer to top ~ this is where she usually sleeps but has been on the bottom under her hideout ~ reptile green mat on floor ~ temp at night drops to 73 ~ left side of tank temp is around 73 always ~ mostly she stays on the right ~ her food and water are on cooler side ~ when she was eating she ate a variety of lettuce ( no iceberg) have offered carrots squash sweet potatoes zucchini and other veggies from BD food list ~ only fruit she will eat occasionally Is a raspberry or part of a strawberry ~ she has also had access to BD pellet food ~ greens are always sprinkles w/calcium powder ~ she used to eat crickets until about 6 months ago and completely lost interest in them ~ started giving her super worms but now she won't eat them ~ going to try horn worms next ~
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Has the weather been cold where you are? How log has she been sleeping and gone off food?

Is there any weight loss?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in Chicago and the weather is cold but our home temp is warm ~ she is on an inside wall ~ it has been about a month when she stopped eating or has pooped (she has eaten only eaten a few super worms a few times during this time frame) she has taken water from me o few times ~ just gave her a warm bath and she's perked up now ~ I don't want to sound corny but I really think she pouts when I'm not home everyday where she can see me constantly! She doesn't seem like she is loosing weight and her coloring is normal
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Since your Dragon is over year old she sounds like she is going through Brumation which is the Dragon form of hibernation. This is normal for them to prepare by going off food. During this time they will go to sleep will not pass stool and will not eat or Drink. It can last several months and when she does come out she will need a good soak and to be started back on a Reguslr diet of Veggies at 85% and prey at 20%. Crickets, Silkworms and Phoenix worms are all acceptable. No meal worms or super worms. Do not feed during Brumation since any food will rot in the stomach, thus she was prepared by not eating. This is some information on Brumation: http://www.animalbliss.com/bearded-dragon-brumation-symptoms/

You can weight her once a week, to check weight, but please do not feed during this time, because the Dragon will not digest the food.

Joan