Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I've had a bearded dragon 4 months and it hasn't grown at

Customer Question

Hi, I've had a bearded dragon for about 4 months and it hasn't grown at all. We thought it may be brumation even though she's young because she always hid and slept. Now she's dying and barely breathing and I don't know what to do.. Or what even caused it. We did everything right. I just don't understand it.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Substrate?

Supplements?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, brand?

Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side?

Have you had a fecal done?

Passing stool? Is it normal or runny?

Does she eat at all?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a 20 gallon tank with a 100 W coil UV light with a 150 heat light. I took everything out to hid in so all she has is a basking spot to climb onto. She eats normally compared to my other beardie, but she only will eat crickets. We dust her crickets with calcium and about twice a week a mix of calcium and vitamin blend. She's been eating fine and passing stool fine until yesterday to where she wouldn't move. Then I gave her a bath just in case it was impaction. I live in Indiana and couldn't find a herp vet that was open or close enough to help her.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Is she housed in with the other Dragon?

What type of substrate are you using?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We've had both carpet and sand and she was at first but not now
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Is she housed alone or with another Dragon?

What substrate is she on now?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was alone and she had a carpet... She just died a few minutes ago..
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry. From what you described it sounds like she had a serious Parasite load. To determine that you would need to have a Necropsy done (animal autopsy). You may want to do it and have them check and see if the Dragon had Adenovirus. It is deadly to dragons and very contagious. One of the symptoms is slow or lack of growth. It can attack young Dragons that do not have a strong immune system. This is some information on Adenovirus: http://www.anapsid.org/adenoviruses2.html Since this article was published, they do have a test called a PCR that can test live Dragons for this problem via a stool test that is sent off to a University that does the testing.

I am so sorry for the loss.

Joan