Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a Indian star tortoise male is with open eyes not

Customer Question

Hey I have a Indian star tortoise male is with open eyes not moving and even weak hands and legs what should I do ? Is he dead?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one has responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of these problem. From what you have described, it doesn't sound good. It can be difficult to tell when a tortoise is dead since we can't see if they're breathing. A dead tortoise usually has its eyes open and all four legs out. The legs often hang limply. The skin may feel warm. The eyes sometimes appear sunken. If this is what you're seeing, it is likely that Tortu has passed away. If you want to try one thing before reaching that conclusion, you can prepare a bath consisting of half Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants) and half water. Hold his head up so his nostrils are out of the water. Soak him for about twenty minutes. Then pinch a back toe. If there's no movement or other sign of life, you can conclude that he is dead. Based on your description, I suspect that's what will happen. I'm sorry to give you bad news, but I believe you deserve honesty. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. Anna