Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I got my baby horse field tortoise on Friday, I'm a little

Customer Question

Hi there, I got my baby horse field tortoise on Friday, I'm a little worried as he/she hasn't had any water yet, I've tried bathing but it doesn't seem to like it so I only bath for a couple of mins, how can I make its bathing time more comfortable for him? Also I noticed after I bathed him that he released some runny white fluid, is this normal? Also he just seems to sleep a lot and doesn't seem to eat a lot, his temperatures are roughly 33c in hot end and 23c in the cool end, he seems to burrow himself when he goes to sleep too, I've been feeding him rocket, romaine lettuce and chicory, am I doing everything ok? Also he seems to try to be climbing the walls even though his enclosure is plenty big enough for him, please help, thank you
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Is the tortoise housed in a tank or a tortoise table?

Do you have a UVB bulb, strength, is it a linear tub or compact coil?

Any bubbles from nose or mouth?

Have you had a fecal done?

Joan