Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Am rescueing 2 turtles that I think are RSTs. They are in

Customer Question

Am rescueing 2 turtles that I think are RSTs. They are in sme srage of MBD, based on reports of having had no UVA or UVB light, no heat source, no way to bask..They have reportedly stopped eating. I plan to dry dock them wit 10-12 hours a day of UVA and UVB light with adequate heating. Can I open their mouths gently and put in calcium and vit D?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

You can give Calcium Glubionate for the calcium deficiency, but will have to be cautious in opening the mouth. By rubbing the sides of the mouth you can usually get a response or you can poke the tail area to also get a response. I would give them a soak in a 50/50 Pedialye and warm water soak before Dry docking. If they do not have shell rot Dry docking willl not be necessary. If they can swim it is best they have the tank with a good Reptisun 10.0 linear tube and a good basking light. The diet should include 50% leafy greens, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats. This is a link for liquid Calcium Glubionate but follow the dosing directions on the bottle as too much can do just as much problem wise as if you di not give any: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Calciumglub.html Plain calcium turns into D3 in the body under a UVB light, so etra D3 is not needed and can cause neurological issues.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.
Hi Sharon,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sharon Tracy. How is everything going?
Joan