Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I was just googling to find out what I should do with a frog

Customer Question

Hi there, I was just googling to find out what I should do with a frog that I just discovered alive in my sump pump area of the basement. I am in Maryland and we are just digging out from the blizzard. The frog is currently swimming in the water of the sump pump, which eventually pumps the water out once it gets to a certain level. It seems that the frog probably can't jump out. I'm not sure what this little guy might eat, or what it might enjoy living in other than free roam of the basement, since if I release him outside it's obviously too cold. It is a spotted frog about the size of a small fist.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: And my name is Christine :)(
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

To help the frog he will need a good sized aquarium a filtration system and a screened lid. You will want to use an ammonia remover in the water to he can tolerate it.

They eat meal worms and crickets which can be purchased as the pet shop. They need to be dusted with some plain calcium powder. The water should have a small heater or under the tank heat pad to warm the water. He should be fine until spring with the simple set up and can be released at that time. this link will give you an idea fir various set uos for housing him : http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/housing/index.html When you look at the tank set ups I suggest the third one from the left which gives some land area as well as water to swim.

Joan