Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My daughters chamelion looks very sick. He has what appears

Customer Question

my daughters chamelion looks very sick. He has what appears to b poop comig out of him but it is stuck and he can not push it all the way out. she said that it has been lke this for a few days
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Is it possible to post a picture of this problem? If not I think I can still help but a picture would be very helpful.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible to email it. We tried to send pic but it wont copy and paste on here
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Looks like I did get a couple of pictures, I'll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the picture. Based on the bulge on the tail right near the vent, it appears this is a prolapsed hemipene. There are two penis like organs tucked in tail pockets on either side of the tail of a chameleon. Theses can stick out and gets stuck. When this happens it becomes infected which is why he is sick. The other possibility is a prolapsed cloaca which is the same principle except his rectal tissue is what is sticking out, this also can get infected and make him sick. The solution to either one is the same, the part that is sticking out must be removed and the healthy tissue replaced and then antibiotics used. Sometimes this can be done with just a numbing injection, sometimes it will require a full surgery. Unfortunately with tissue that badly damaged there are not at home treatments. If he is to live he has to have that tissue removed properly. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating. Dr. Dan