Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

, Okay so my turtle's (Red ear slider) penis has been

Customer Question

Customer: Hello there.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Okay so my turtle's (Red ear slider) penis has been external and not internal of the body for 3 or 4 days now. I've searched the web for ways to fix the problem and I've even tried to put it back in easily but It did not work. Iv'e thinking of taking him to the vet before the problem gets any worse. Is there any possible way to fix this problem to fix this problem at home, and if so are you available to help. Do you live or are u close to the D.C. metropolitan area or are you a veterinarian that can help with this problem and in the area. Please help. Thank you.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Reptile Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 10 months ago via TotallyTortoise.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi.
Do any of you live in the DC metropolitan area, close to Ft. Washington or Alexandria; Fairfax county.
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interst in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

It sounds like the turtle has a Penile Prolapse. It will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet asap. I will give you links for herp Vets that can treat the turtle. There is no at home treatment and as time passes it loose the blood supply and may be more serious.

These are Herp Vet links: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/washingtondc.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/dc.html

If you are closer to Va, I can locate Vet there too.

Joan