Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

We have a veiled that we just noticed a knob on s nd knee.

Customer Question

We have a young veiled that we just noticed a knob on his hind knee. He still moves fine with it, but the range of motion is slightly impaired compared to the other leg.
Please advise. Thank you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one has responded to you sooner. Different experts come on at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful. What brand and size of UVB light do you have? Is it a coil or a straight tube style? How old is the bulb? Does Benny regularly receive a calcium supplement? What temperatures do you maintain under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was smooshed in that container. Felt really bad for him. Usually they ship in a quart container. Wondering if it was an injury related to that......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have been dusting his crickets with D3.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Weird not seeing my response email to you. His basking area is around 85. He's brand new and so is all of his gear including cage and lights. At night we turn the heat (ambient) off to drop it down to around 70.
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me. There is something strange going on with responses - I was just notified of your response. I'm working on your answer now, and will post it as soon as I have it put together and typed up. I'll be back shortly.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting. Shipped reptiles do often arrive in less than perfect shape. That knob could be the result of an injury that caused some swelling. However, such swelling can also be the result of early Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD. It's possible the seller didn't have a UVB light on him, or wasn't providing calcium. If there is a minor injury, the swelling should go down in a day or two. If it's MBD, it can be reversed over a period of weeks by providing UVB light and calcium. I realize many pet stores and even breeders recommend calcium with D3 in it, but I strongly prefer plain calcium with a good UVB light (so the body can make its own D). Supplementing with D3 can cause kidney disease and neurological disorders. Kidney disease caused by too much D3 can lead to deposits of uric acid in the joints, causing swelling and mobility problems. You can read more about D3 and kidney disease here:

http://www.anapsid.org/diverskidney.html

If you can't find plain calcium locally, here is an online source:

http://www.flukerfarms.com/vitaminsandhealth.aspx

While it doesn't have anything to do with the knob, I do recommend that you adjust your temperatures a little.

Chameleons are adaptable to temperature extremes in their wild habitat, but there they can move around to find warmer or cooler spots. In a cage they have no choice. The coldest part of the cage should be 82.5*F. There should be a warm basking area that is kept at 89*F to 113*F. That sounds hot to us, but to a chameleon, it is just right. At night the temperature can be allowed to drop to 72*F to 79*F. Use a good digital probe thermometer to measure the temperature. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the fixture or by changing the bulb to one with higher or lower wattage. If you have to lower the fixture, don't put it so low that your chameleon can touch it and be burned.

You may also want to consider having a reptile vet examine this little guy. the vet could actually feel that knob and perhaps x-ray it to find out exactly what is going on in there. It's a good idea to have any new lizard examined soon after purchase anyway, but when there's any kind of symptom, it's even more important. If you don't already ahve a vet, this link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Benny will thrive for you.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. do you need any additional information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anna, the lights we have are two 100v uvb's and a 50watt
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. UVB lights have a percent output and that's how we measure them. It's usually 10.0 or 5.0. Do you know what yours is? Or, if you can give me the brand name (usually printed somewhere on the tube), I can find out for you.