Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My tortoise was kept in a very warm room and isn't moving. s

Customer Question

My tortoise was kept in a very warm room and isn't moving. His limbs hang down and his penis has prolapsed and is really sticky. His head is tucked into his shell and one eye is open but no sign of life. Dehydration? I bathed him gently and put him in a box in a cooler room. Is it possible he's hibernating?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of Merlin's condition. These are not symptoms of hibernation. Some additional information will help me figure out what is wrong. What was the temperature in the warm room? What is the temperature where he is now? Has he been exposed to a UVB light? If yes, what brand and size? How old is the bulb? Does his skin feel cold or warm to the touch? Thank you.