Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

5.5yo female bearded dragon. Last winter first mild

Customer Question

5.5yo female bearded dragon. Last winter first mild brumation x2wks. This year after a week or so she seems like possibly dying. Shin usual color but beard jet black. Moving sporadically. Not eating. Now 3.5wks in
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. It can be very difficult to tell a brumating dragon from a sick one, even for a vet. However, what you have described causes me to suspect yours is ill.

I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your beardie for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Also make sure the temperatures are at the optimal ranges. The basking area should be 105*F to 110*F, the cool side 80*F to 85*F.

I do recommend seeing a reptile vet. During brumation, it's very easy for infections and digestive problems to develop. These things don't usually improve on their own. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your dragon will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bev,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking on your dragon. Has there been any change? Do you have more questions or concerns about any of the information I gave? Thank you.

Anna