Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My 6 month bearded dragon hasn't pooped weeks I gave m a

Customer Question

Customer: my 6 month bearded dragon hasn't pooped for 2 weeks I gave him a warm bath doesn't work,can I give him oil?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he willeat2 or 3 super worms some days
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Reptile Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Do not give any oil !

Can you tell me what type of Bedding you use?

Temp in the basking area, warm side and cools side of tank?

Diet Veggies/Prey?

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sand from pet shop,lettuce only eats small amounts once and awhile 3 or 4 super worms one time per day
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the temp is100 near heat light the cooler side is 80
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am waiting for myanswer please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
please tell me why you are not answering me
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Sorry Power Outage.

I need to correct some of the husbandry for you and will tell you how to treat the Dragon.

The sand can cause some major issues with a Dragon. This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, slate or paper. Sand can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers in the eyes. The basking area should have 105*-110*F, the warm side 90's and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is important for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem.You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. Lettuce is worthless as it holds no nutritional value. They need 20% veggies daily and 80% live prey under a year of age and over a year the percentages reverse. The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms. Meal worms and super worm high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage.

Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week. This is a link to the Veggies and is color coated. Please follow the green foods:

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Now to help the Dragon, we need to feed a little Baby food prunes and wait about 45 mins and place the Dragon in a Soak and massage the abdomen. This should promote a stool. If it does not can be repeated daily for two days. If it does not work, the a Herp Vet will be needed to check for a blockage and possibly an enema or other measures to promote a bowel movement.

Please let me know if you have questions about this information. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

I see you spoke with Dr Jo, but I did answer your question including all the information needed to help your Dragon. Please take a moment to review it.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

I wanted to follow up with you to see how the Dragon is doing and if you tried the Baby Food prunes and soaks. They are very effective in most cases unless serious impaction. Please let me know.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan