Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My daughter has two bearded dragon lizard. They were bought

Customer Question

My daughter has two bearded dragon lizard. They were bought at the same time. They just got big plans enough to eat mealworms. One of th m now bites the other one foot. Now she hasn't been giving them the meal worn hope the one biting would stop but it is still biting the other bearded dragons foot and has cause it to bleed and be swollen. What can she do to get the one biting to stop. She doesn't understand why she is doing it when they have been together from the start. Please help!
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
One is a male and the other is a female. The female is biting the male
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interst in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Two Dragons should NEVER be housed together. Pet shops sell animals and do not give the correct advice or husbandry. The should each have a 40 gallon breeder tank with a linear 10.0 UVB light and a Basking light. They need to be housed on a solid substrate like care carpet, tile or paper. Loose substrates are deadly.

The diet over a year old should be 80% leafy greens and other veggies and 20% live prey to include crickets, silk worms, phoenix worms and roaches. No meal worms. The reason for this is meal worms can cause internal blockage due to the chitin which is the hard outer shell. Meal worms contaln very little nutrition. The veggies and prey should be dusted 5 days a week with a plain calcium and 2 days a week with a vitamin supplement. Male and femal Dragons will breed early on and should be at least two years old for breeding and the female brought to the male. She should be at least 350 grams for breeding. I hope that you will make these correction before a toe, foot or tail is lost. I am sorry you were given poor information and I know you should be able to rely on them as a good source, but Pet shops are about making money and not information.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When my daughter was little we had 4 beardies in one large terrarium and never had a problem with them biting or attaching the others had them from babies to their passing. Sh only started biting after my daughter fed them the mealworms. Before that there was no problem
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She put neosporin on his foot and put something to ivied the terrarium until the divider she orders arrive on Tuesday
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Good, I am so glad she will have a divider. We never suggest more than one per tank, and a male will breed a female so have her watch the male does not break down the divider. To treat the injury have he use some diluted Betadine and water solution on the foot followed by the Neosporin. Watch for the toes and limb getting dark which can indicate that the Dragon may loose a toe or foot. I am supplying the most up to date information for you. My concern is the health and well being of the animals.

Joan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am guessing I was lucky having four beardoes in one cage and mever had a problem with any of them. They all lived for 4-5 years. Had 3 females and one male and the male never tried to breed with the females. When she wanted to get some beardies I dont think we thought getting two was not a good idea as the ones we had were great together.
Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately as they get older they get territorial and breeding is always an issue. The average age for a Dragon is 9-12 years in captivity. I lost two of my rescue at 12 and 13 years. I do a lot of rescues with Dragons, due to Pet shops not giving all the proper info. People realize they are more care than they were aware of. Just warn your daughter that be aware in spring the male will become more aggressive because of breeding season and may try to get to the female. I hope this information is helpful, and you will rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 10 months ago.

I wanted to check in to see how the Dragons are doing and if you found my information helpful. Please let me know if you have any more concerns. If you found my information helpful, pleasel rate my service 5 stars.