Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I just took in a rescue cwd. He's lethargic and keeps

Customer Question

Hello I just took in a rescue cwd. He's lethargic and keeps his eyes closed. I can tell he's starving. He sees the superworm but doesn't have the energy to go after it. I put the superworm in his mouth and he just let's it sit in there. I don't know what to do
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. It was kind of you to try to help this dragon. Some additional information will be useful. Since you said you've tried just about everything, I don't want to waste your time telling you about hints you've already done. Would you list all you've tried? Also let me know what temperatures you're maintaining under the basking light and on the cool side of the enclosure? Do you know if he had a UVB light in his previous home? Thank you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I don't think he had uvb but I do. Hot side 90 cool side 73. Humidity is at 85%. There is a pool on the left side of the tank as well as a fogging system and a monsoon system, both on timers. He just lays flat and won't move. When I put a worm down I see him notice it but he can't go for it. When I put it in his mouth he can't chew it and one ended up crawling down his throat. He's very weak so I've been moving him around myself to maintain his temperature and stuff. I forcefed him about 5 worms 2 days ago and then yesterday his color was a bright green and he appeared to have some strength back. I was able to get him to take one worm. Today he's weak and flat again, and very dull green color with white overlay on the head and back. At first he had both his eyes closed, now he just has one closed. I'm at a loss because yesterday he seemed to be recovering and today he looks worse than before I got him.

Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds like he has been in poor health for some time before you got him. He could be suffering from MBD if his previous home had no UVB light, and he may have any number of other conditions. I'm working on putting together some information for you, and I'll post it as soon as I have it typed up. I'll be back shortly.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I also need to know how to get him to eat

Expert:  Anna replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for waiting. Whenever we see that flat look, dehydration is suspected. I’ll start with a first aid measure for that .Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Also, add a big scoop of calcium powder and mix it in (in case he has MBD). Soak him for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely. One other thing you can do right away to help him is to make sure the temperature in his enclosure is kept at 85 to 90*F day and night. While it's usually recommended that the temperature be lowered at night, when they're sick, it's better to keep them warm all the time. This link talks about that:http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/ailments.htmThis means you need to get the cool side a bit warmer. Normally, you’ll want daytime temperatures between 84* and 88* F and night time temperatures between 75* and 80* F . Many times, just taking the above two steps will help them perk up enough to eat. If not, there is another feeding method you can try. Buy some plain meat baby food. Mix in a little calcium powder and a little Pedialyte. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Many times, reflexes will cause them to lick it off. for the eyes, you can put in a couple of drops of saline solution (the kind for contact lenses) several times a day. Even if the eyes are closed, some will seep in. If these measures don't help, then you truly have exhausted the options. at that point, I recommend a vet visit. It's always a good idea to have any new reptile pet examined by a vet shortly after bringing it home anyway, so you may want to consider a check up. The vet can do blood work to check for liver and kidney problems, and check for parasites, which can cause appetite loss. If you decide to see a vet, this link will take you to a directory:http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist If you decide not to see a vet, just continue with the best care possible. If the dragon has a strong constitution, he may recover. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope you'll be able to restore the dragon to health. Anna My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!