Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Two water turtles 5years of age i the same tank, both shells

Customer Question

Two water turtles 5years of age i the same tank, both shells are looking whte and some of the shells are coming off...concerned...live in a village and local vet does not look at turtles..thank you . ***********
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. It sounds like your turtles have shell infections.

The most effective treatment involves what is called 'dry-docking.' You'll need to prepare a 'hospital' for the turtles. A large plastic tote works well. It should be equipped with a basking area at 85*F to 90*F and a UVB light. The turtles will be kept warm and dry, except for a 30 minute bath twice a day. The two baths are very important to prevent dehydration. Feed during the bath. After each soak, scrub the shells with a clean toothbrush with Betadine (available in drug stores) on it, but try not to get it on the skin, and especially avoid the eyes. Do this twice a day. Follow that with a coating of anti-fungal cream (the kind sold for women to use to treat yeast infections). If the problem doesn't clear up within two weeks, you'll need to have your turtle examined by a reptile vet. Your local vet may be able to consult with a reptile vet by phone to provide additional treatment.

After the turtles recover, do make sure all conditions - temperatures, types of lighting, filtration etc.- are all optimal for their species. If you're not sure of what is best for them, let me know what species they are -sliders, painted, etc.- and I can help with that. For that, or if you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope the treatment I gave you above will cure the problem.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Do you need any additional information. The method I gave you above does work in most cases.

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna