Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

We have a bearded dragon with swollen limbs, can you suggest

Customer Question

We have a bearded dragon with swollen limbs, can you suggest what might have caused this?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up??

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements?

UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Can you post a picture of the limbs?

Joan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has a coil light which is about 2 years old. He's never shown interest in any fruits or Vegies. He's on a complete dry food diet + live insects.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I gave him to my parents in law when he was about 4-5 months old so I'm not entirely sure how accurate the age of the bulb is.
Expert:  Joan replied 11 months ago.

I see some major husbandry issues tht may be causing the problems. UVB lights give light, but they only give UVB rays for 6 months. The Dragon needs UVB and a calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease which I believe you are seeing. It can cause multiple issues in the health of the Dragon. This is information on MBD:

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

There are quite a few changes needed. Over the age of one a Dragon needs 80% Veggies like collard greens, mustard greens, Butternut squash, Escarole, Curly endives and dandelion greens. They only should get 20% live prey, since too much insect protein can cause gout, and kidney failure, which are alos possibilities with the swelling in the legs.

The Dragon needs to see a Herp Vet for a positive diagnosis, but you will need to make some changes to help the Dragon.

Remove the sand, and replace with tile, cage carpet or paper. Get a new UVB bulb that is a linear tube Reptisun 10.0 and put it no more than 12 " from the Dragon. Add a good plain calcium to the Diet a. Start the Veggies asap. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a State. The changes will need to be done to help the Dragon to recover. MBD is very painful and not only affects the skeletal system, but the organs too. Please let me know if you need a Vet

Joan