Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a 12" Fly River Turtle with an swollen anal gland?

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. My name is Matt. I have a 12" Fly River Turtle with an swollen anal gland?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We had a power outtage for 24 hours. This has never happened before. After 10 hours, I plugged in a generator a repowered the pumps. The water was soiled by then and ammonia at 2.0 ppm. I did a large water change and the parameters are safe again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Reptile Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The turtle has been in perfect health since it was the size of a quarter. I recently moved it from a 480g to an 1100g aquarium with several large fish. There bottom has tile in lieu of subtrate. The decor is rounded river rocks and large driftwood pieces. After the water got soiled, I noticed that there was a large growth on the tail at the anus. After further inspection, it looks like the skin around the anus has swollen up. Its about the size of marble. What kind of treatment can I do at home. The only herp vet I know of is hours away and I don't want to cause more stress. The fly river turtle is eating--he ate some pellets last night and then i did a 20% water change. Hopefully, this is enough info get a good answer.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you post a picture of the area so I can have a visual?

What Sate do you live in, so I can see if I can find a closer Herp Vet?

Joan