Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Reptile Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years private, wildlife and zoo experience with reptiles, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a 15 year old rescued Mali Uromastyx. He's been

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old rescued Mali Uromastyx. He's been suffering from some type of upper respiratory infection. His symptoms include gasping, light clear discharge from nose, high mucus production which causes him to swing his head side to side, lethargy, and lack of appetite. He's been seen by our local veterinarian for treatment twice. He was x-rayed and treated with Baytril and Calcium Glubionate. Baytril seems to ease his symptoms, but they always return full force. He is currently on his 3rd round of this antibiotics. He's set up in a 40 gallon breeder aquarium. His basking temperature ranges from 100-120 degrees, and he has a hide which stays in the 80s. He gets fed mixed greens and a variety of vegetables. This has been going on for months and I hate to see him suffer. Any advice on how to fix this problem?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry that your Uromastyx is having this trouble. What likely is going on is you ar dealing with a resistant infection (resistant to baytril) or a fungal infection which is more common that has previously been suspected. There are two ways to properly diagnosis this the easiest is a lung lavage where your M.U. is lightly sedated then sterile saline is flushed into the lungs then immediately back out, and the fluid is cultured. If bacteria or fungus grows then a sensitivity can be performed and the properly antibiotic/anti-fungal can be used. This is cheaper and easier but less acurate. The most accurate way to collect samples is through a very brief endoscopy procedure where the lungs are visually examined and biopsy and culture are collected. If these diagnostics are not available then we should try changing antibiotics to something like ceftazidime and possibly adding an antifungal like itraconazole just in case. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan