Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My Leopard Gecko isn't eating. He does this from time to

Customer Question

My Leopard Gecko isn't eating. He does this from time to time but he always eats again. He hasn't eaten in about 2 weeks and now he looks thin. I leave worms in his bowl and change them out after a few days. He is also in the process of shedding. We are going to Petsmart to get some crickets to see if he will eat them. I keep refilling his water dish every other day, so I think he's drinking.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

It's normal for geckos not to eat when shedding, but two weeks is a long time for that to go on. He is probably dehydrated by now. I’ll start with a first aid measure.Buy some unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Make sure your temperatures are right. It should be 88*F on the warm side and 82*F on the cool side. These temps should be maintained day and night.

After your gecko has had a couple of soaks and proper temperatures, you can try feeding him. Get some plain meat baby food. Drop a small dollop right on the end of his snout. Many times reflexes will cause them to lick it off.

If the above measures don't help, it will be time to see a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of them:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your gecko will reacha full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 12 months ago.

Hello again. How is your gecko doing now? Do you need any additional information?