Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My beardie beard is real black and s body real pale color

Customer Question

my beardie beard is real black and his body real pale color
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have given him baths and he takes drinks of water and other times drinks out of the faucet. He gets up everyday mostly sometimes for a few hours only but refuses to eat. He has had the white stuff in his poop and runny almost like a string and just a tad of it so i assume it is the water he is drinking. i am just afraid I am going to lose him. Weather here has been unusally warm they say in 60s at night and high 70s to mid 80s during the day but humidity is gone.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Veterinary tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

UVB light, how old, Linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking bulb?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

How are temps measured?

Has your Dragon has a fecal check done?

What is usual diet?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is in a 50 gal tank i got a year ago for him. He has reptile sand and always has.
has a 5 uvb got when he woke up last spring. He has two bulbs a 150 and a 100. I only know his basking area and he only been in his cage for about 12 hours the last week as he been sleeping and only up a for a few hours if at all. I have a thrermoter obove his basking spot that is level with his log it runs 95=102. He eats superworms. I can occasionally get some apple or watermelon in him. he will not eat crickets anymore and has not eaten in at least a month. He does not take supplements and never had a fecal check
he is pretty listless like he wants to sleep and does till it gets warm during the after noon then he is up it seems hottest after 3 here mostly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems all the color went out of his body and his beard is black could he be dead
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

You have some serious husbandry issues and could be a big part of the problem. Dragons need UVB bulb and calcium to work together in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB metabolizes the Calcium into D3. The UVB bulb should be a reptisun 10.0 linear tube. the 5.0 is not strong enough and they need to be replaced every 6 months. They lose Potency after 6 months. This is info on MBD: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

Next issue is Sand it is deadly over time it causes a blockage in the intestinal tract. This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

Another issue is a Dragon over the age of one needs 80% fresh veggies and only 20% live prey items. we normall to not recommend Super worms as they are very fatty and can cause liver issues.

The first thing I would like you to do is pinch the back foot and see if you get a reflex action where he pulls away from you. If he does we can go on with some treatment. He will need to see a Herp Vet but we can offer some immediate first aid to help him if he has not passed. Please let me know, if he has some movement when squeezing the back foot. Then we can go on and help him.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i picked him up and he was cold and listless and I put him back down and a he moved his position so his head was up higher but still sleeping. What is husbandry issue. He is usually asleep this time of year and is not under the lights he sleeps in a smaller ...20 ....gal with a blanket on the bottom and I put one around the sides to keep light out the top is mesh but nothing on it. He will not eat vegetables occasionally i can get him to eat fruits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was putting out in my sunroom on top of a closed cooler with a pillow and towel on top so he could bask in the direct sunlight on my days off and when I got home from work. After we turned our clocks back it only gave him and hour of heat and sun till it turned dark on the days I worked and he lost interest in it and jumped down and came in the house and went into a corner and went to sleep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go to bed as I have to be up in 5.5 hours for work. He is sleeping and alive.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I will post instructions for you and you can get back to me tomorrow and let me know how he is doing. I am also going to give you a link to locate some Herp Vets for a check up and fecal. The husbandry will need to be corrected, but we will ty and help him.

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

This is a link for Herp Vets in Fl. http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html I suggest switching the sand to a solid substrate asap. I recommend cage carpet, tile or paper to prevent an impaction. Next to help with appetite and lethargy, the UVB should be replaced with a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube running 12-14 hours a day. You will need to add a Plain calcium supplement into the diet. I suggest as soon as you can get the Dragon eating that you start with 80% veggies to include Collard greens, escarole, Mustard greens, butternut squash and some assorted berries for a treat. The prey can include dubia roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms and crickets. This is a link for food. Please follow the green foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I suggest a dail soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte to help with hydration and electrolytes. For feeding mix baby food and calcium together and drop on the snout and allow the Dragon to lick it off. I am hoping with the change in husbandry he will start responding to the UBV light and the calcium. I do suggest the Herp Vet visit asap, for blood work, exam and a fecal. Without the proper UVB and calcium we may be dealing with Metabolic Bone disease.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lost him. I gave him the bath when I got home from work with the pedialyte. Dried him off and put him under his lights he lost his black beard for awhile was smiling at me but then he kept raising his head higher and then back down and swallowing or deep breathing. Twenty minutes later his berd black and he seemed frozen and he was pretty stiff when I picked him up. Then I looked again and his mouth looked opened more. I got the number of a local herp vet from the pet store a girl that watched him when I went on vacation and I took him but he was already gone. Sad. I think he had a respitory infection and I should not have given him a bath from what I read.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry you lost him. He was very ill and you did the best you could for him. I suspect he was in organ failure when you contacted me. The fact his body went white and his beard black indicates some internal issues, that he may have been dealing with for a while. Dragons will hide illness very well and are very stoic, until they can no longer hide the illness. Please accept my condolences. I was hoping we could help him hold on until you could get him into the Herp Vet.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish I would have known the urgency last night an what the black beard meant an white body I would havevtaken him last night
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Most likely would not have found a Herp Vet last night open at 8:23 on a Sat night. It takes a special Vet to treat them with reptile knowledge. When you contacted me you thought the Dragon may have been dead already. I can only offer basic first aid because I am not there hands on. I explained the husbandry takes a toll on their health and I suggested blood work and a fecal. We did all we could at home to help him.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vet i took him too is opened 24/7. Does not matter now though as it cannot change.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the loss. I did my best to try and help and I understand it is hard to loose a beloved pet.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mariann,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?
Joan