Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My right side of my turtles neck is swallon

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago via TotallyTortoise.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

The area where you see swelling is called the tympanic region. The most common cause of swelling there is an ear abscess or infection. This is not something that is easy to treat. It will probably require injections of antibiotics, and surgical draining may be necessary. Less common causes of this type of swelling include vitamin A deficiency and tumors. You don't want to increase the turtle's vitamin A without knowing for certain that's what is wrong, because too much vitamin A can be harmful. However, you can feed him a small piece of cooked liver each day to get more vitamin A into his diet without overdosing him. But, in general, this is not something that can be treated on your own. You'll need an appointment with a reptile vet. Infections, abscesses, and tumors all need to be treated by a vet. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope your turtle will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kimberly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about John. How is everything going?
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 12 months ago.

Hello again. How is your turtle doing now? Have you had a chance to see a vet?