Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I got disconnected earlier. I 't know if my little slider

Customer Question

I got disconnected earlier. I don't know if my little slider turtle is dead or not.
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me what happened to your turtle?

Is it moving?

What type of medication in the nebulizer?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My turtle was moving a little bit yesterday. I just noticed this behavior last night so it's been about 24 hours. Nothing happened to him..her...I don't know. Stella just perched herself on the edge of the pond(made of plastic) and stayed there. I have another turtle who is larger and of the same age. I got them at the same time a little over a year ago. The other turtle is pale and mostly stays in the water. It's shell edges look jagged and he/she(Pickles is very active) Poor Stella was covered in a brown goop earlier and I gently cleaned her with several q-tips) Her little body just flopped around as I did this. She is now in very shallow distilled water in a clean jelly lid under a heat lamp. Her little eyes are sunken.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Please pinch her foot and see if she pulls it in. You can also prod the tail and see if she moves. From what you have said I am afraid she may be gone. Please let me know if there is any response. Joan.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Joan,
I tugged on her little feet and tail...nothing. Her shell is very soft. What was the brown goop all over her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought she would have gone stiff by now. I was hoping her sunken eyes were just dehydration.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I viewed the picture and could see she was gone. Turtles since cold blooded do not stiffen like a mammal. The brown you saw was a combination of bacteria and the shell deterioration. I can tell you she had Metabolic Bone Disease. These turtles require a calcium supplement and Direct sunlight or a UVB light that needs to be changed every 6 months. Without calcium and UVB they do not have the required D3 in the body leaving them open for Metabolic Bone Disease. It deterioartes the bones and affects the organs. Unfortunately she is gone. In order to help the other turtle offer a cuttle bone and a Diet of 50% leafy greens, 25% pellets and 25% life prey. If not housed outside plase get a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube and place 12" about the enclosure. This is help prevent MBD in the other turtle. I am so sorry for the loss. I hope I have addressed your concerns and you will take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan