Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon has a lump on s back and isn't moving at

Customer Question

My bearded dragon has a lump on his back and isn't moving at all how he usually does what should I do ? He's not eating or drinking either I'm worried
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. While i try some questions, can you post a picture of the back?

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me about the tank set up?

Substrate?

UVB bulb, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side?

How are the temps measured?

Are stools normal?

Supplements?

Diet Veggies and prey?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent u the photos but I'm not sure if u got it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have two lights the night time red bulb and the heating bulb I don't have a uvb light he's stools the same the bulb just blew yesterday he's eating habits are meal worms and 15 crickets every two days
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm really looking for help and I feel like I'm not getting any type of response
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't have a answer and I already paid for the help ????????????? ?? Can someone please respond or call me this is not getting a good rate from me I just spent my money and I have no closure 😡😡
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I asked questions and for a picture. I cannot assist you without the information I asked for. You will get an answer and do not rate my service, Until I have given you a complete answer.

Let me understand you do not have a UVB bulb?

What substrate do you use?

Any supplements?

Temps in enclosure?

Do you feed any Veggies?

Size of tank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No veggies and the only diet supplement is nutritious soft moist food and I have an 40g tank
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Dragons need to types of lighting and a Supplements of calcium 5 days a week and 2 days a week they need a Vitamin. The UVB light is a must. It works with the calcium to metabolize into Vitamin D3 in the body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. To understand this problem, it is like scurvy, where the bones weaken and can break or they can get jaw problems, growth problems organ issues and even a problem with the spine. That is why it is important to see the picture of the spine. This is some information on MBD: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm Unfortunately your Pet shop did not sell you a complete set up. The red light bulb is only used if cold. We Use the UVB light in conjunction with the basking light 12-14 hours a day. The UVB also has bearing on the activity level of the Dragon.

The Diet also need improvement. We do not feed meal worms or soft food. WE feed 20% Veggies at this age and 80% live prey to include Crickets, Silk worms, Phoenix worms, and dubia roaches. The veggies should include escarole, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash, and you can give a little bit of berries for a treat. This is a Diet. Follow the green foods: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html The reason we do not feed meal worms is the amount of fat and chiting in meal worms.

You did not say the type of substrate you have, but I suggest a solid one, since loose substrates can cause an impaction in the intestinal tract. You can use cage carpet, paper or towels. As far as the UVB I sugest a reptisun 10.0 linear tube.

If you can post the picture for me to see I can get a Better idea of what is going on with the spine. I can also locate a Herp vet for you with a State. I want to add temps are very important. The basking spot should be 105-110*F, warm side in 90's and cool side in 80's. I suggest a digital thermometer to check accurate temps.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just realized as I picked him up this morning he's whole tummy area is also lumped he looks like a balloon full of hair is this a worse sign ??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is how he looked before this morning
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

He looks Very ill and his color is poor at best. He needs to have the changes made and to see a Herp Vet. I can locate one if you supply a State. I suggest trying to get the Dragon in asap today.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is The Dragon Doing? Have you had hem seen? Please let me know haw things are and what the Vet said.

Joan