Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

My son has a leopard gecko and it seems severely ill. Won't

Customer Question

My son has a leopard gecko and it seems severely ill. Won't move and mouth seems to gasp for air. Also is vey white but not shedding. Thoughts?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. From what you have described, it sound slike your gecko is suffering from a respiratory infection. These infections are serious in lizards because they can quickly progress to pneumonia, which is life threatening. Your gecko will need to be seen by a vet as soon as possible because prescription antibiotics will be needed. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

I realize it will be difficult to find a vet tonight, but I hope you will be able to locate one first thing tomorrow. In the meantime, you are probably right that your gecko is dehydrated, but there is a better way to help than pouring water on him.Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water at about 85*F and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your gecko for about 20 to 30 minutes. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Proper temperatures are especially important when they are ill, so double check your temperatures. The warm side should be 88*F and the cool side 82*F.

All you'll be bale to do tonight is provide a long soak and make sure the temperatures are correct. I hope that will be enough to get him through the night. Let me know in a REPLY if you need anything else.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

How is your gecko doing now? Do you have any additional questions?