Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon was bright and beautiful whenever I

Customer Question

My bearded dragon was bright and beautiful whenever I purchased him at a young age I have had him for about 2 months and his collar stays dark even after shedding Andy and he has black oval designs on the bottom of his body what is causing this?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet Veggies/prey?

Supplements?

UVB light, linear tube, compact coil or MVB, Age and Strength?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

Can you post a picture of the areas please.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is still a juvenile, about 6 months old. He gets two large calcium gut loaded crickets a day with vitamin spray on them because he shows no interest in fruit or veggies at this time. We bath him 2-3 times a week. He has two 75 watt bulbs, a day time and night time/heat. He has the 10w uv light for desert style lighting. He basking area is usually around 95-100 and cool side is around 65-80 depending on the temp outside.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I see you have requested a Phone call. Please let me know if this is correct. I do need to let you know the site does have an extra charge for the calls.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's ok you don't have too, did you get my pics and response?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did get the pics. Is the UVB a linear tube or compact coil and how old is it?

Do you use a Calcium powder on the prey?

Do you leave the veggies in the tank for him?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a linear tub and it's about 1 month old. The crickets are calcium gut loaded with the vitamin spray before feeding. We used to offer him the fruit and he wouldn't touch it so we stopped wasting it.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Gut loaded crickets do not supply enough calcium. As soon as crickets eat they poop and there goes the gut loading of calcium. The calcium should be a plain calcim powder w/o D3 five days a week and 2 days for a vitamin. Your temps should be measured with a digital probe thermometer. The basking area should be 105*-110*, warm side 90's and cool side mid 80's.

The black rings are stress marks on the abdomen. This can be because he is in a high traffic area, there is glare in the tank, or he is cold. Dragons get darker when cold. I suggest covering 3 sides of the tank with some black construction paper. This will eliminate glare and seeing his reflection. I would double check the temps to make sure they are accurate. Change the calicum and vitamins as suggested. I would feed veggies one hour after lights on. Use collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, butter nut squash, and dandelion greens. You can add some fruit baby food to entice him to eat. A few hours later you can feed the crickets. You can also feed silk worms, dubia roaches, phoenix worms and for a treat goliath worms. Hopefully reducing the reflection will help reduce the stress and he will comback to he regular color. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars, so I can be compensated by the site for my time and answers.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nova. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I am checking in on your bearded dragon to see how he is doing. Please let me know how things are and if you found my information helpful.

Joan