Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Our snake bit our cat and our cat shook m off and then bit m

Customer Question

Our snake bit our cat and our cat shook him off and then bit him back. the cat ended up getting the snakes head in his mouth. We got the two apart. They both appear fine. There's no emergency reptile vets open right. I'm concerned about the cat and the snake.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I apologize that no one responded to you sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just logged on and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special I'll interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. For both animals, infection in any bite wounds is a big danger. The snake, especially is at risk because cat bites are very prone to infection. The treatment for open wounds in both your cat and your snake is the same. Start by cleaning the wounds with Betadine (sold in first aid departments of discount stores and pharmacies). Follow that with an application of plain Neosporin. You can repeat the Neoorn twice per day. If these are puncture wounds, you will want to follow up with your vet. Puncture wounds can be one infected deep down, and that can be one systemic and dangerous. Prescription antibiotics would be needed. Signs of infection in both animals would be similar - increased redness around the wound, swelling of the bitten area, oozing from the wound, appetite loss, and/or lethargy. Any of these call for an immediate appointment. If the cat actually put pressure on the snake's head, there is also risk of an internal injury from that. Signs would include lethargy, appetite loss, or swelling of the head or neck. If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. It would be a good idea to follow up with your vet when they open even if your pets seem fine. I hope they will both recover uneventfully. Anna