Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Joan, recently I've noticed my chameleons colors aret as

Customer Question

Hi Joan, recently I've noticed my chameleons colors aret as bright she almost looks pale, I notice it more when she's sleeping instead of the bright light green she normally is she's looks whitest green. I feed her five crickets a day and I switch it up and give her worms sometimes atleast once a month she'll eat worms for a week. Her cage is 18x18x30 with two hearing lamps and a wide stretched UV lamp. I have a cantina drinking fountain that she drinks out of atleast once a day. She just finished shedding but I have noticed her stomach looks a little bulking and rounder than normal. Do you think she's okay? Or is there possibly a problem?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescues.

What type of Chameleon do you have?

Do you have an Auto Mister or Dripper?

Is the Habitat a srceen or tank?

How old is the UVB light and strength?

Supplements?

Can you post a picture of her?

Has she been with a male?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's a veiled chameleon
I have a dripper
It's a screen cage
The UVB is about 3months old 25UVB T8 bulb
I feed the crickets flickers orange cubes, fruits and veggies and I dust the crickets with D3 calcium every other feeding. She's never been with a male while in my care. I got her at a local pet store about 3months ago they said they thought she was about 9months old.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

In looking at your Chameleon, it actually looks very thin and dehydrated. This is what a healthy Veiled Chameleon looks like: http://www.exoticpetvet.com/images/Veil%20female%20post%20ovh.jpg This happened to be one that belongs to Dr. Susan Horton. I would add an automister to the tank. Chameleons do not usually drink from standing water and need the automister to stay dehydrated. The dripper does not always do the job.

The Chameleon also looks thin to me and maybe just starting to put on some weight and that is why you feel the stomach looks a little more bulky. They normally have a rounded stomach as you see in the picture I posted. I would like to do immediate hydration by giving a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water soak for about 8-10mins. This should help with hydration. I would add the automister to the enclosure and switch from a Calcium with D3 to a plain Calcium supplement. I would also have him seen by a Herp Vet, to rule out a Parasite issue. Feeding I would add some Silk worms, Dubia Roaches and Phoenix worms to the diet to balance it out. The better balanced diet will help get some weight on him. If you do not have a Herp Vet I can help you locate one with a State. If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to rate my Service 5 Stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That probably wasn't the best picture either, here's another one
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

She still looks on the thin side and a bit dehydrated. Pet shop animals are not always in the best of health when you get them. Reptiles normally carry a parasite load which when stressed can bloom and increase. I would err on the side of caution and have her in for an exam. Chameleons are one of the most fragile Reptiles and do require more care than a Leopard Gecko or Bearded Dragons. She is a Pretty Chameleon just my opinion she looks a little on the thin side.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cami. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am checking in on your chameleon to see how she is doing. Please let me know.

Joan