Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

Why are both my bearded dragon's front legs swelling and I

Customer Question

why are both my bearded dragon's front legs swelling and I can see it hurt when I touch them
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me was the Vet you had seen a Reptile Specialist?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Substrate?

UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

Heat source?

Can you post a Picture of the legs?

Did the Vet run any blood work?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has a glass 75 gallon terrarium
She eats dubia daily. Before this issue she'd eat 10 to 15 once a day
Every other day 3 to 5 super worms on top of the dubias. Collard greens daily with some mixed fruits and veggies. Dubia powered with calcium daily and multi vitamin once to twice a week and a calcium spray on the greens also daily.
The UV light it a 10.0 coil light, cold side of tank 75-80 basking side 100 warm side 85-90 75 watt . I don't remember if they did blood work. They did X-rays and she metioned bone disease or cancer so I am so concerned
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If the Vet was not a Reptile Specialist I suggest seeing on. You may be dealing with MBD Metabolic Bone Disease, Gout or Pseudo Gout with the dragon being so young I have my doubts on Cancer. I would make sure they did blood work the include Calcium levels as well as Uric acid levels to rule out MBD as well as gout http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1796&aid=2496.

I would switch the UVB to a linear tube to run the length of the tank. I suggest the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. As far as diet right now you should be feeding 80% live prey and 20% veggies. I would not feed any Super worms as they are very fatty and can affect the Kidneys and Liver. Stay away from too many fruits because of the sugar content. Escarole, collard greens, mustard greens and butternut squash are a good combination for Veggies.

If the legs are painful there is Medication the Vet can give to help. I would ask them if the checked for gout, as it is common in Reptiles. I would start giving a daily soak in warm water and allo the Dragon to swim and use the legs as this could help reduce some swelling and Pain.

Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. When I have please Rate my Service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Didi. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am just checking in to see how your Dragon is doing. Please let me know.

Joan