Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

There was a terrible accident yesterday. My turtle lives in

Customer Question

Hi! There was a terrible accident yesterday. My turtle lives in a large sink,I have had it for 15 years. A large box fell, knocked the hot water nob trapping my turtle under the contents. The apt. manager came to turn off the water when it started to flood but did not see my turtle. I returned home to this situation within in 2 hours (not sure how long into my leaving this happened) I cooled off my turtle with ice water. He is not moving but still soft not hard like a dead animal. I think he is hibernating but never saw him like this. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet etch for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Do you have a UVB light over the turtle?

What kind of UVB do you have Linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

If you pinch the back foot does the turtle pull the foot back away?

If you rod the tail area do you get a reaction?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no movement...the limbs are soft but there is no reaction
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If there is no reflex action when pinching the foot or prodding the tail, I am afraid the Turtle is gone. There shuld be some time of involuntary pain response if the turtle was alive. It is hard to deliver this news, but unfortunately there should have been some type of movement. I am so sorry for the loss. I hope I have addressed your concerns and you will Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan