Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a red slider turtle about 3 and half years old

Customer Question

I have a red slider turtle about 3 and half years old something came out off his tale its black
Category: Reptile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she keeps kicking it with her feet trying to pull it more and I believe its more because her tail its very swelling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can take a picture of it and send it to you if that will help
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I would like to help you this evening. Your photo would be very useful. You can upload a picture by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of the space where you type. Instructions will pop up. Thank you.

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

It appears you haven't been able to upload a picture. From what you have described, it sounds like your turtle is suffering from a prolapse. That is, an internal organ is coming out of her vent. I can give you a first aid measure to take, but you will need a vet to remedy the problem. A prolapse is generally considered to be an emergency situation because the organs can be damaged or become infected. If she keeps pulling on it, she could gravely injure herself.

Ordinary table sugar is often used to reduce swelling when there's a prolapse. Put a layer of sugar in a container with a smooth surface (so the prolapsed organs can’t get caught or damaged). Wet the sugar to make a paste. Also put some of the sugar paste directly on the prolapse. Confine your turtle in the container until you can take her to the vet. This is not a cure, but a supportive measure to help her until tomorrow when the vet opens. You can read more about the use of sugar by scrolling down about halfway on this page:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medinjuries.htm

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your turtle will reacha full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!