Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

We have a 18 month old blue tongued skink, in April of this

Customer Question

we have a 18 month old blue tongued skink, in April of this year we went to the vet because his eyes kept crusting over every morning, ( I would use warm water soak to remove the crustation), the vet gave us shot, ceftazadime tazicef 1 gram, to administer for 2 weeks and an eye cream called neo poly bac ophthalmic. that visit was over $200. Since all shots he still has eye crustation pretty regular. If I don't clean it off, in 3 days they are crusted shut. He eats mixed vege daily and meal worms 3x week. , that we give him while he is in a separate tank. His bedding is Aspen shavings. He has a large soak bath, but almost never uses it that I see.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. I would like to assist you but need to ask some questions.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet type of Veggies/prey?

UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

Did the Vet run a culture on the eye?

Is the Vet you had seen a reptile specialist?

Joan