Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

3 YR OLD AFRICAN LEOPARD CANT USE BACK LEGS AND HAS SOFT

Customer Question

3 YR OLD AFRICAN LEOPARD CANT USE BACK LEGS AND HAS SOFT SHELL? ??HE IS EATING KALE AND CACTUS AND DANDOLION AND DRINKING
Submitted: 1 year ago via TotallyTortoise.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have een a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. I need to ask some questions to best assist you. Please do not rate until I give you an answer.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Diet?

UVB light, how old, strength, Linear tube or compact coil and brand?

Basking light?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uvb bulb 2yr old. Basking light. Diet mostly kale cactus and dandelion spinach and water
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Your tortoise is most likely suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease. The UVB light looses potency after 6 months and no Calium supplement and Kale and Spinach binds calcium has left the tortoise with a soft shell and Paralyzed. The First thing is to Get a New Reptisun 10.0 Linear UVB tube or a link has acceptable foods: http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm No spinach and no kale for now. You will also need to add cuttle bones and a calcium supplement daily to work with the UVB rays and start strengthening the bones and the shell. This is some information on MBD: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

The tortoise will need to see the Herp Vet to start calcium injections, and other vitamins. MBD is not curable, but is treatable. If you need a Herp Vet Please suply a State and I can locate some for you. Please let me know if I have addressed your concerns. If I have please Rate my service 5 Stars.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Larry,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see if you have made the suggested changes and made an appointment for the Herp Vet. Please let me know how things are going.