Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

We have a bearded dragon that is not eating. We can't get

Customer Question

We have a bearded dragon that is not eating. We can't get into a vet today. Questioning parasites. Can we do something at home to help him
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name Is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue. I need to ask some questions to best assist you. Please do not Rate my service until I give a full answer.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Substrate?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Supplements?

Temp in Basking area, Warm side and cool side?

How do you measure temps?

UVB light Age of bulb, Linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

How long has the Dragon been off food?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is in 30 gallon tank, gets cleaned daily. Eats crickets and kale with calcium supplements. Also has water with all kamps and bulbs operational. Had an issue with crickets last week. Found white worm in cricket keeper. Discarded all crickets and cricket keeper and started over. This is my daughters dragon and she is at work so this is all I know. All bulbs are less than 4 months old and she is very diligent about everything. He has not eaten in two days
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I really need the specific information on the bulbs and substrate, but we can address what can be done now. Please give the Dragon a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialye soak. This will help with hydration as well as give electrolytes, as they absorb fluids through the Vent area. Please gently massage the abdomen while in the soak to see if the Dragon will pass stool. Once the soak is done we can do some supplemental feeding. Please take some chicken or beef baby food stage on and mix with calcium and drop on the snout and allow the Dragon to lick this off. This will help hold the Dragon until it can be seen by a Herp Vet. If you do not have please supply a State and I can locate some for you. With the feeding do this 4-5 times a day as the dragon may not take much with one feeding. I would stop feeding Kale as it binds calcium. You are better with collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, dandelion greens, and butternut squash. Spinach and kale are a someties food and not meant to be fed as a staple. The diet should be 80% veggie and 20% prey item. The worm you may have seen is a pin worm as they do come in crickets and can cause issues with Dragons. Please let me know if you need clarification on the information. When I have addressed your conccerns, please rate my service 5 stars.

Joan