Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My bearded dragon might of just ate a cedar chip, I placed

Customer Question

my bearded dragon might of just ate a cedar chip, I placed her in my guinne pig cage to clean hers and when I looked over it looked like she had eaten a piece of cedar. I am very worried I just read it is toxic for her...
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for Requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Cedar is toxic in the sense, that when under a lamp it can give off deadly fumes and should not be used for your guinea Pig. I suggest Carefresh Bedding or Yesterdays news Bedding. Cedar has oils in it that are toxic and I would remove it. With the Dragon, I would be more concerned with the piece of bedding causing a blockage. I suggest you have the Dragon seen by a Herp Vet to remove the Piece of bedding from the digestive tract, because of the chance of perforation or a blockage. We cannot induce vomiting in Reptiles so we are limited to treatment by a Herp Vet in this situation. I can help you locate a Herp Vet with a State. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to Rate my service 5 Stars. If yu need clarification hit reply.

Joan