Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My leopard gecko has stopped eating and tail is shrinking. I

Customer Question

My leopard gecko has stopped eating and tail is shrinking. I cleaned out her cage and put her in a separate container. I did see a very small warm in the container, not sure where it came from. Any suggestions how I can get her feeling better again?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Temps in enclosure?

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 gallon tank
Calcium Sand
Big Rock
Black cut out c**tainer so she can hide
Water dish bowl
Container for meal worms and calciumDiet
We feed her 12 crickets weekly. Crickets are covered in Herptivite and Calcium w Vit D before each feeding.It's floor heated and always on, but Indont have a temperature gauge on the cage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my attachment?
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

The first thing is get rid of the calcium sand, it is deadly. It causes skin problems, eye problems and intestinal impaction. I would not be surprised if that may be the problem. The only substrate that should be used is a solid type like cage carpet, tile, or paper. The first thing we need to do is give a soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water. Soak the Leo in the mixture and gently massage to see if we can get is to get a stool to pass. The mixture is for hydration. It is an electrolyte bath. Next we will take some chicken or beef baby food and mix it with some plain calcium and syringe feed by dropping the mixture on the snout and allowing the Gecko to lick it off. This is a supplemental feeding. I do suggest that the gecko see a Her Vet for a fecal and a hands on exam.

I noticed you do not have a moist hide, which is very important for shedding. If you need a herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate some for you. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan