Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

I have a leopard gecko and yesterday while i was gone he got

Customer Question

I have a leopard gecko and yesterday while i was gone he got inside one of the basking rocks and apparently couldnt get out i have no idea how long he was there and it was closest to the heat lamp. We destroyed the rock to get him out and fed him a few crickets. I noticed he wasnt quite as accurate as before but seemed to get back to normal. Made sure he has plenty of water. Then later he went into his night spot as usual when i change the lights. He didnt seem to have lost his color. This morning when i changed back to daylight light he didnt come out as usual but i did touch his tail and he quickly turned around but stayed inside then i looked over to where he goes to the bathroom andit was very runny. Never before my sister is convinced he is still traumatized or not coming out bc doesnt have basking rock. I am just plain worried. Any suggestions
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this incident. I think you are right to be concerned. This post is not your answer, but only a request for more information. So, don't rate my service yet- we are just beginning. Are the basking rocks the kind that are heated? Where is the 'inside' that your gecko will not come out of? What temperatures do you maintain in the cage? What substrate do you use on the floor? Does your gecko's skin look wrinkled at all? Thank you. Anna