Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 20+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

I have redfoot tortoises they have started wheezing a

Customer Question

I have redfoot tortoises they have started wheezing a little. I have them on 1cc Bentacin I think. Can't get a hold of my vet. She is on vacation. What could of caused this and is there anything else I can do for them. They are still eating and drinking.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Bentacin is not a Drug we normally use in Reptiles. WE have to be careful of what is being used as it can upset the system. Incorrect humidity can cause respiratory issues as well as where they are being housed. Tanks are very bad for that. We suggest a tortoise table which lessens problems. A mold or spores can irritate the respiratory tract. The humidity should be 80%-90% in the enclosure. If the humidity is too low that can cause the substrate to be dusty causing a respiratory issue.

There are many factors that can cause wheezing as you can see. if a respiratory issue the drug of choice is usually Baytril which is very effective, but your Vet will have to prescribe it. For now, you can take them in a steam bathroom to inhale the steam which should help. Make sure your UVB light is newer than 6 months as that helps with the immune system.As long as they are eating an drinking they should be able to wait until you can get them into the Vet for the proper medication.

Joan