Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My 2yr old carpet python has been in the shedding process

Customer Question

Hi, my 2yr old carpet python has been in the shedding process for a month now. His eyes went blue and milky for a week and are now back to normal and have been for another week but he still hasn't shed. His skin is very dull and he is refusing it eat, hasn't eaten in a month now. I'm worried he might be sick as he is very lethargic.
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue. The tank should be misted so the humidity stays at 70-75%%. I would suggest a 50/50 warm water and unflavored Pedialyte soak. It is important because a snake can dehydrate if the humidity is incorrect. The snake should have a bowl large enough to soak in the enclosure. Carpet Pythons are prone to certain medical issues, so with a situation like this if the snake does not respond to the soak and is not eating, the a Herp Vet visit my be a wise next step. Snakes can go off food for long periods of time and can take a while to shed, but always best to be checked out thoroughly. I am hoping the soaks and the correct humidity will help with the shed process, and at that point the snake will go back to eating.

Joan